- Hire a Band
- Find a Member
- Joining the CFM
- Support Us/Donate
- Musician Resources
- For Employers
- About Us
- In Memoriam
- Membership Handbook
- Member Login/Payments
Chicago Federation of Musicians
Recommended Health and Safety Guidelines for Live Engagement
Anyone feeling unwell, exhibiting any possible signs of Covid-19, or having been in contact with a
confirmed case of Covid-19 during the previous 14 days should refrain from participating in any event.
The following guidelines are set forth by the Chicago Federation of Musicians for Casual Live
Engagements. More restrictive guidelines set by City, County and State governments will supersede
anything contained in this document. It is the duty of the contractor/leader of any engagement, prior to
performing any service, to discuss these guidelines with the musicians and employer and agree to the
Symptoms of Covid-19 include: fever of 100.4 degrees or above, cough, shortness of breath/difficulty
breathing; other flu-like symptoms, such as gastrointestinal upset, headache, or fatigue, recent loss of
taste or smell.
The following guidelines, whether indoor or outdoor events, are required:
• Musicians and guests must agree to wear masks during entire time at venue.
• Musicians will be separated 6ft apart and will each have their own stand/music.
• All guests will be required to remain 6 ft. apart from the musicians with socially distanced
markings put on floor/ground to keep guests separated from the musicians.
• The leader will have hand sanitizer available to every musician or require that each musician
carry their own hand sanitizer which will be used frequently throughout the event.
• Musicians will have a designated unpacking space to store their belongings (Separate from
guests), properly distanced from others (at least six feet for strings and percussion and 8-10 feet
for winds and brass), in a secure location. The space will have tables and chairs where cases and
belongings may be left and the Musician can rest when not performing.
• Musicians should refrain from bringing personal items other than instruments, stands, and
music necessary for the job to avoid COVID transmission.
• Public restrooms will be cleaned regularly, particularly high-contact surfaces.
• As much as is possible, at indoor events, doors will be open to allow for minimum surface
contact and for airflow exchange.
• If there is a confirmed case of Covid-19 less than 72 hours after the completion of the event, all
individuals which may have been in “close contact” (less than 6 feet of distance for 15 minutes
or more) with the infected person will be notified.